Watermelon Basil Salad 西瓜九层塔沙拉

I spotted yellow-flesh watermelon in the Asian grocery store last week and could not resist as I have not had yellow-flesh watermelon for a long time. Also known as Yellow Crimson, yellow-flesh watermelon is also popularly known as 小玉西瓜 in Taiwan.

Ok. Great. Now I have two watermelons at home (before buying the yellow-flesh watermelon, there is already another watermelon at home!) - maybe I can do something different?

The other ingredient that I have in excess right now is fresh basil (in a pot) which I bought from Whole Foods Market, a couple of weeks back.



In my mind, I wanted to combine watermelon and basil in a salad and as I searched the Internet, the recipe from Chef Marcus Samuelsson stood out - just what I was looking for in terms of availability of ingredients and ease of execution.

Watermelon, fresh basil, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and ground black pepper were called for.  I left out the olive oil and the salad was still as refreshing and bright.


Watermelon Basil Salad - 西瓜九层塔沙拉 - this is really a super simple salad combining the taste of sweet (watermelon), spice (black pepper), freshness (basil), balanced with just a little salt.



Sharing this salad with Souper Sunday

Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook